Dear NBC / Rock Center,
We here at National Danish TV just found out, that you have produced the same story as we did, about exchange students being victims of sexual abuse in American host families. We broadcast our documentary tonight. Our stories might interest you. We asked CIEST what they intended to do about it (see below). This is already a huge story here in Denmark, and tonight after our broadcast the minister concerned will go on the news demanding that action is taken in the exchange student travel organizations to prevent these cases.
Here is our mail to CSIET:
We would like to draw your attention to the following:
We are broadcasting a documentary (20th of March on National Danish TV) about Danish exchange-students, who were sexually abused during stay with American host families. We have three cases:
1) The case of 16 year old Nicklas Rassing, who was abused by David Goodhead, Riverside, California, sentencing details from May 2003: 5 month in jail, $ 1500 fine.
2) The Case of 17 year old xxx (name known to us), who was abused by Robert Medley, Henderson County, North Carolina, sentencing details from August 2nd 2005: Sexual Battery, class A1 misdemeanor.
3) The case of 16 year old xxx (name known to us), who was abused by John Hamilton, Fairfax County, Virginia, sentencing details from June 2011: 55 years in jail (5 of which had to do with the Danish case).
This raises some questions about the approval of AISE by CSIET, because AISE in all three cases found the host families:
– Were these cases of sexual abuse reported to CSIET by AISE? And if so, what consequence did it have?
– We understand, that AISE were blacklisted by CSIET in 2003 because of the Rassing-case. How come the two next cases did not get AISE blacklisted the following years?
– Have CSIET received or noticed other cases regarding AISE and sexual abuse of exchange students?
The two missing names can be provided, but AISE has had a mail correspondence with us about the cases, so there is no dispute about identifying the students.
We look forward to your response.
Journalist / producer
National Danish Broadcast Corporation
Documentary, DR, DR Byen
Emil Holms Kanal 20, opg.1.3
DK-0999 Copenhagen C
Phone: +45 3520 3040
Phone, desk: +45 3520 2958
Mob: +45 5191 2220
2003 Apr 26: Local student exchange group reprimanded
2013 Mar 19: John E. Hamilton v. Commonwealth of Virginia